Thursday, December 13, 2012

Day 11 - Do Yoga With Me


A couple of things happened today. First, Heather, a stream-mate of mine, poked me in the shoulder at the hospital and it really hurt. This isn't totally normal for me anymore, but I don't know whether it means I'm overusing my shoulder or is just a minor blip on my way to better function. I guess I'll have to watch out for that over the next few days. Incidentally, every single muscle in my body seems to be sore to some extent today, but it's a very, very satisfying sore. I can't believe I somehow thought I was fit before.

The second thing that happened today was that Heather convinced me to go to a spinning class. I've only had one experience with spinning so far, and it wasn't fun. I now always worry my shoulders will hurt with the pressure of leaning on them over the course of 75 soul-destroying minutes, but after a minimal amount of convincing I was willing to give it a second try. 

Grumpy post-Panacur.
Then I realised I had to stay home to accept a courier delivery of liquid medicine for the cats (who both have giardia), which was promptly drooled and spit all over me by both felines. Thanks, boys.

In light of missing the spinning class and having a body full of ouch, I thought I'd try something low-key today. I noticed that a redditor on r/xxfitness had recommend DoYogaWithMe, so I clicked away. DoYogaWithMe is a website that offers free streaming yoga videos directed at a variety of levels of experience. I searched for beginner yoga videos 20-40 minutes in length and decided on Bend and Stretch, a 35 minute video that is directed toward "beginners, gentle yoga lovers, inflexible athletes and 55+, among others". I'm not 100% sure I'm still a beginner, and I'm certainly neither inflexible nor over 55, but I definitely count myself as an "other", so I gave it a try.

Not too grumpy to get up and disrupt my session!
I didn't enjoy the experience as much as I thought I would. Without the anxiety of arriving at the studio (I know, I know), I thought I'd be more relaxed practicing in my own bedroom. Not so. Turns out my previously-somnolent cats suddenly became quite alert at the sight of me rolling around on a mat on the bedroom floor. They investigated thoroughly, getting between my legs, under chest, and even on top of my bum. I missed the responsiveness of a real, live instructor and the feel of being in the studio with three, four, or twenty other students. 

I also chose a video that was way too easy.
 
In sum, not a very satisfying day for the challenge, but I'm glad I gave something new a try, and also that my sore and tight muscles are feeling a little happier and looser. Bath time!

Have you guessed my favourite colour yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment