Friday, January 11, 2013

Days 37, 38, and 39 - Impossible.

These past few days have been the sort that make this challenge seem nearly impossible.

It seems like I'm staying extra hours after every shift, and I'm scrambling to get prepared to leave my apartment for three months. Eve kindly took me to buy months worth of food for the cats, but I still need to get keys cut for the friends who are looking after Desi and Guinness, and I need to figure out what I'm bringing with me and, you know, maybe pack a thing or two for when I leave on Sunday night.

Incidentally, I am leaving directly from a competition.

So yeah, things are busy.

But I am sticking with it.

Today I had synchro practice. I've been struggling with synchro this year; it has been hard to come back from everything that has happened recently with my shoulder, with the brief couple of months of arrythmias I was weirdly having (all clear now!), and with being generally deconditioned after a year away. I am trying hard to just take this year as a developmental season, but the fact is that I am such a poor swimmer compared to 3 or 4 years ago. Every practice is a struggle at this point, and there are still things I don't feel I can do. Nevertheless, I went today and worked hard and I will continue to work hard this weekend as I finish my season.

6k and feeling good on Day 39.
My favourite sweaty t-shirt.
Yesterday I ran 6 k on the treadmill as part of my marathon training. I have noticed that my speed and endurance are quickly improving, so I'm feeling successful in that regard. I feel confident that I'm improving, though I know I need to balance all the running with some yoga and/or stretching.

The day before yesterday, I only had time for a quick bodyweight set at home after a shift that went two hours longer than expected. At least I got something in, though, and Katie sent me a timely link that very day to an article discussing the benefit of even short ten minute bursts of physical activity throughout the week; it made me feel much better about my progress.

Anyway, onward and upward.

Here's to tomorrow.

When did I become such a shameless hippy?

2 comments:

  1. Go Sarah, Go!! Come be shamelessly hippy with me in Toronto. We'll go to yoga and make kale chips and listen to hip hop. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can we go to the Big Carrot and make coconut drink camino hot chocolate?

      Delete