Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 53 - Do Yoga With Me Redux

A while back, I posted about a website called Do Yoga With Me.

Photos are looking much clearer, thanks to my new phone.
The website offers streaming video of fully-instructed/guided yoga practices of varying lengths. I didn't have much luck with it last time I tried; practicing yoga at home with all the attendant distractions of cats, phone, computer, and roommate undermined the sense of peace I usually experience with yoga, and the video I chose didn't seem challenging enough for my (just barely not-novice) level.

I thought I'd give the website another shot today, and tried this video from their Yoga for Runners series. The video focussed on stretches for the IT band, which many runners complain of tightness and irritation around.

This was probably a more successful session for me.

I didn't enjoy some aspects of the video - the transitions weren't well-explained, and the video itself seemed less like yoga and more like a basic stretching class - but I did enjoy the instructor's use of props (particularly the block and strap) to find space in some hard to reach areas. Randi gave me a lovely cork block a couple of Christmases ago, and it was perfect for the job. I didn't have a strap, but I found that a scarf worked nicely. 

Block = bizarre picture, more intense hamstring stretch.
I hadn't previously thought to use a block to achieve a more intense hamstring stretch, and I have to admit it worked nicely. I also found that it was much easier for me to get a deep quadriceps stretch when I used the wall as described in this video (check out the video starting around 16:00 to see how this is done) than when I try to do it the traditional way (standing). My left shoulder just doesn't have the flexibility to reach around and grab my left foot, and using the wall was a nice work-around. 

I still am not convinced that this website can replace attending a good studio with solid instruction; I find hands-on instruction invaluable, and I think a studio can go a long way toward creating an atmosphere conducive to both hard work and relaxation. I do think it might be a nice supplement to a regular yoga routine, particularly if you find yourself - like I am - away from your usual studio.

If you're a runner, definitely check out the video (heck, even if you're not, check it out!). Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment