Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 65 - Lowering standards for runners everywhere...

Only 300 days to go!
Today was my second day in Vancouver, and another beautiful one. If you're not bothered by rain, there's a lot to appreciate about Vancouver; it's mild and inviting, the scenery is stunning, and every once in a while, a car will stop for you mid-block just because you look like you're about to cross the street. Nice.

I collected my photo ID badge today and met Dan for an Indian buffet lunch near Vancouver General. Unfortunately, I had filled my belly with bread and hummus just a couple of hours earlier, so I didn't appreciate the vast array of vegetarian Indian food laid out before me, but I did enjoy catching up with Dan, who has been on elective in Moncton and Calgary recently.

Later, I headed "home", picking up some groceries on the way (vegetables are roasting in the oven now and giving off the loveliest smell!). I spent the afternoon reading, lazing, and napping. On waking from my late afternoon nap, I decided to head out on a rainy run, even though it is not technically a running day for me.

I soon discovered that my complete lack of directional ability is not limited to Toronto (nor to Kingston, Montreal, Hamilton, Milan, Venice, Gothenburg, Paris, London, Geneva, or the entire country of Greece...I guess I should accept at this point that my inability to navigate out of a paper bag is pretty generalised), and I immediately got lost.

Many of the houses in Vancouver seem to be built of wood, or at least covered in wood siding, which is novel for a brick-house Southern Ontarian. In the rain, the wood lets off this beautiful wet smell that reminds me of camping, and drains all sense of urgency. I was hardly troubled about being lost. In fact, it seems that I may have run by my destination (the house I'm staying at) at least once without noticing.

Lost on Nanaimo.
Of course, I also had my iPhone to point me in the right direction, so I eventually arrived safely at home after about 5k pitted with stops and starts to check Google maps, running halfway up blocks and then turning around having realised I had started off in the wrong direction, and some confused standing on street corners looking around for a familiar landmark.

The take-home message here? 

You needn't ever worry about looking silly while running, as long as I'm still on the sidewalks lowering standards.

Is that what's keeping you from trying running, anyway?

I've already posted about resources that helped me get started in running, and I also wrote a post a while back about gear that I consider essential for outdoor running in the cold, but it seems that a lot of non-runners who talk to me about running avoid it because they are afraid of looking silly.

Want to know what I think when I see runners in proper gear with good form?

Shit, they're good.

Want to know what I think when I see overweight runners in heavy cotton sweats, huffing, puffing, and shuffling, taking breaks to walk and then starting all over again?

Gratuitous selfie just because I like it. Deal.
Shit, they're impressive. They are working so hard.

Want to know what I think when I see runners in proper gear or awful sweats, with good form or bad, when they're running in the rain?

Shit, they are badass.

When they're running in the snow?

Shit, they are seriously badass.

When they're running and I'm not?

Shit, I want to be running.

Do I ever think that runners, no matter how novice, look silly?

Nope. Never.

You're allowed to not like running, and you're allowed to not want to try, but please don't let worries about people judging you, your skill, or your gear stop you from trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment