Saturday, May 4, 2013

Day 153 - Where the wild things are...

In the year that I've been running, I've run in rain, slush, and snow. I've run in the middle of the night, first thing in the morning and under the blazing midday sun. I've run on trails, down highways (eek!), and on quiet residential side streets. I've even run around the Acropolis in 35 degree heat.

Once, I was "followed" by a tame pack of stray dogs in Athens. 

That was mildly disconcerting, but ultimately not concerning. I have otherwise never had a problem with wildlife on my runs.

Today I set out for a 9 p.m. run through the city with the plan to head out along the water to a nearby college before swinging around back home. I planned for about 10 k.

I made it maybe half a kilometre before I was CHASED BY A RACCOON.

Yes, chased, in a way that is completely worthy of caps lock. Not only did the lumbering beast (!!) come right out of the park  toward me, it also followed me across the street at a gallop.

I probably could have achieved a personal best in the mile given the speed I beat it out of there with. I ended up doing a short (5k) run in the well-lit streets around my apartment, heart pounding more with fear than exertion.

Maybe I'll be running a little earlier in the day from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment